Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Selfish Eyes

Selfishness blinds you. It worms it's way into your life and refuses to leave. It hurts and harms. It's selfishness, and it's through it's eyes that we can no longer see. There are times in life where we know we have something productive to do and we know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it needs to get done and it should get done. But that's when selfishness' best friend procrastination comes alongside and hand in hand they work hard to daily corrupt our decision making.

Just the other day, I knew the dishes needed to be done, I knew the trash needed to be taken out, I knew that X, Y, Z had to be tackled THAT day. But it was almost as if my ears fell deaf, and my body became stuck on the couch at which I lazily lied scrolling through Facebook, checking emails and becoming numb to the world and all it's responsibilities around me.

WAKE UP! My heart cried but my mind didn't want to listen, and my body didn't want to move. I was blinded and even paralyzed by selfishness! I felt like a constant wrestling match was taking place inside my soul's doors. In the ring were Selflessness VS. Selfishness... my heart starting racing as sweat poured down my brow I knew selflessness must have given selfishness a big blow to the gut. I suddenly woke up from my "slumber", feeling came back, and It was like I could see clearly again. Selfishness had been defeated.

I got up from the couch after realizing my state at that present time was a serious one and that it shouldn't be taken lightly. I wiped the sweat off my brow, my feet hurried along with a spring in each step as I rushed off to go find something productive to do. As I approached the dirty dishes in the sink, the trash can that was overflowing to the brim and that unforgettable stench of something expired in the fridge I realized... it wasn't I who had found something productive to do it was decision that guided me and led me to my growing and unmet responsibilities.

The real winner in this match is decision. I wouldn't have gotten up off the couch if it weren't for decision cheering me on in the crowd. When you wake up in the morning it's YOUR decision to make something out of your day. Will you let selfishness win? Or will you allow the LORD to take hold of your heart and open your eyes into a new world. A world where you don't exist. A world where decision is calling, and responsibilities around you become vivid. A world where only joy lives. Choose selflessness today. It's the best way of life. Selfishness will always be ready to fight, so then, be always ready to win.

"For it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure." Philippians 2:13

-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are accepted by everyone but will be deleted if distasteful.